- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted Butter
- 2 cups (480ml) Milk
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups (150g) Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) Water
- 1 cup (115g) Flour
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Vanilla Extract
- extra confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F). Lightly butter or grease a 8″x8″ baking dish.
- Melt the butter and set aside to slightly cool. Warm the milk to lukewarm and set aside.
- Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks (add 4 drops of vinegar). Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light. Mix in the melted butter and the tablespoon of water for about 2 minutes or until evenly incorporated.
- Mix in the flour until evenly incorporated. Slowly beat in the milk and vanilla extract until everything is well mixed.
- Fold in the egg whites, 1/3 at a time. Repeat until all of the egg whites are folded in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-60 minutes or until the top is golden. Allow cake to completely cool before cutting and then dust with confectioner’s sugar
*** For faster cooling you can place the cake in the fridge, after it’s cooled it’ll still be slightly jiggle
This is a bit more of a faff about but it has the top layer of sponge which if you’re wanting a cake fix then it’s nice….I do both of them again.