I had been having a natter with others about the “magic” pies that you mix in one bowl and it separates off into individual layers …so I had a hunt on the www and found this one with coconut.
You literally throw in all the ingredients in a bowl, mix, into a pie dish and into the oven…..and it magically forms three layers.
There’s this really thin almost a pastry base, a custard filling and a coconutty (it is a word…well in my world it is) crust on top.
1 cup plain flour
1 cup caster (icing) sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
3 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with electric beaters until well combined. Pour into a greased pie dish and bake for 1 hour at 180 degrees. Serve warm with cream….or just trough it on it’s own (which is what I did).
- It’s not suitable for freezing.
- Don’t reduce the sugar in this recipe – or you will end up with scrambled egg pie!
- Decorate with grated chocolate and cream if desired
- For a dairy free version, substitute the milk with rice milk or oat milk (I haven’t tried it).
- For a gluten free version, substitute the flour with gluten free flour (I haven’t tried this either).
It tastes like a egg custard tart with a bit extra….first time I’ve made it but I really like it…and hubby has eaten almost half since he got in from work.