While I was in the zone I decided I would do another “baking something” and again wanting to make it a bit more healthy..I consulted Mr Edmonds cookbook again and thought I would give this one a go as I hadn’t made it before….
- 125g butter (1 stick or if you want to be precise 1 and 1/10 of a stick but I reckon if you used a stick you’d be OK)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Spice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Apples grated
- 1 cup Sultana’s
- 1 Cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Put the butter, Cinnamon, Mixed Spice, brown sugar, apples, sultana’s and water into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil stirring occasionally. Once it’s boiled remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Add the soda and then beat in the eggs and rolled oats.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the pan and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and lined 22cm loaf tin (I used a 2lb loaf tin and it was fine).
- Bake at 180 °C (324°F) for 45 minutes or until it springs back when lightly touched.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack.
It produced a really lovely moist cake and I will definitely be making it again.