- 1 kg ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 200 g onions, chopped
- 100 g raisins or sultanas
- 250 g cooking apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 300 g sugar
- 225 ml vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2. Bring to the boil, stirring, then simmer on a low heat, stirring regularly (to make sure the mixture does not burn on the bottom of the pan) for about 1 hour or until thick and pulpy.
3. Pour into hot sterilised jars and cover.
4. This is best left to mature for 1-2 weeks before eating